The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS is perfect for students at level 4.0 and above; this study guide has EVERYTHING you need to prepare for IELTS Academic or General Training.
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS Overview
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS consists of 398 pages and was published for the first time by Cambridge University Press in 2014. This book offers the essential IELTS material to prepare you for the Academic and General Training IELTS examinations. The major purpose of this book is to help individuals get a band score of at least 6.0.
The opening few pages of The Official Cambridge Guide To Ielts Student’s Book With Answers With Dvd Rom provide an overview of the most fundamental IELTS knowledge and material. It provides an overview of the test’s contents. In such a scenario, you would know where to concentrate your preparation efforts.
This book has four chapters on IELTS skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing. Each section consists of autonomous sections devoted to the development and improvement of each ability.
In the book’s second section, there are eight self-assessment practice tasks with answers. However, there is no need for concern since the first contains helpful advice and directions. The answer key and recording scripts file at the end of the course helps correct and verify what you have learned during the exams.
The Official Cambridge Guide To Ielts Student’s Book With Answers With Dvd Rom also includes video and audio information that may be accessed through the CD or DVD included with the book. You may also download an application from the iOS App Store or Google Play Store to access this book.
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS Contents
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS includes:
- A range of essential skill-building exercises and a focus on exam strategy help maximize your grade.
- Eight official IELTS tests provide plenty of exam practice.
- Prepares for both the General Training and Academic Modules.
- Answer keys provide clear explanations to help you learn and improve your score.
- Suitable for students of all bands (4.0 and above), you can choose how much or how little language development you need.
- Speaking test videos help prepare you for this hard-to-anticipate part of the exam.
- The accompanying app delivers the video and audio content in an alternative format for portable devices (App Store or Google Play).
Here are the contents of The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS:
- Getting ready to listen
- Following a conversation
- Recognizing paraphrase
- Places and directions
- Listening for actions and processes
- Attitude and opinion
- Following a lecture or talk
- Contrasting ideas
- Reading strategies
- Descriptive passages
- Understanding main ideas
- Locating and matching information
- Discursive passages
- Multiple-choice questions
- Opinions and attitudes
- General training reading
- Academic Writing Task 1 – Describing a chart, table, or graph
- Academic Writing Task 1 – Comparing and contrasting tables and graphs
- Academic Writing Task 1 – Describing diagrams
- Academic Writing Task 1 – Describing maps
- General Training Writing Task 1 – A letter
- Writing Task 2 – Getting ready to write
- Writing Task 2 – Expressing your ideas clearly
- Writing Task 3 – Checking and correcting
- The Speaking Test – Part 1
- Part 2 – Giving a talk
- Part 3 – Talking about abstract topics
- Part 4 – Checking, correcting, assessing
- Practice Test 1
- Practice Test 2
- Practice Test 3
- Practice Test 4
- Practice Test 5
- Practice Test 6
- Practice Test 7
- General Practice Test
- Practice Test 8
- General Practice Test
Other items in the book
- Recording Scripts
- Answer Key
- Sample Answer Sheets
The next section discusses the advantages and disadvantages of acquiring The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS.
Pros & Cons of The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
The Official Cambridge Guide To Ielts Student’s Book With Answers With Dvd Rom is one of the most appropriate selections regarding chores and activities. There are few or simple duties associated with each ability. The duration of the practice exams is optimal, and the difficulty level is sufficient. You may take one once per week or at any time.
Aside from that, each ability also comprises test-required specific or sub-abilities. For instance, the IELTS Reading Skills section provides many reading methods for improved comprehension and understanding.
There are scripts that you may use to evaluate your listening abilities. Additionally, the section on speaking abilities has example videos. The audio and video files are available on the CD included with the book and on YouTube and SoundCloud.
Nonetheless, The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS has a few shortcomings. There are several things to learn. However, it is not specified which band you are studying. Furthermore, it lacks a sufficient vocabulary for speaking and writing.
Besides that, this is not the ideal choice if you’re searching for a book for IELTS General Training. Although it states on the cover that it contains material for both Academic and General Training, the emphasis is on the Academic exam.
If you are just studying for the IELTS General Test, you may be obliged to acquire and use additional IELTS preparation materials.
How To Use The Book to Prepare for Your IELTS Exam?
If you plan on using the Cambridge Guide for IELTS preparation, you must know how to use this book effectively. To do that, you may consider these tips below:
- Learn how the book’s system works because the tasks are upgraded on every skill. You will become confused if you do not understand its content.
- Studying all units first before proceeding to take the tests will be best. However, you may also focus on one skill first, take the test for it, and move on to the other skills after.
- Apply the strategies and tips you have learned in the book in real life to remember them better.
- It will help you if you use a notebook and pen when studying. You may take notes of words and vocabulary you encounter in every lesson and skill.
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS is an excellent IELTS preparation book, especially for students who want to get a score of 6.0 or above. The book contains a wealth of information and advice that may be useful for learning English. In addition, you may take practice examinations that might help you evaluate your responses.
You must remember, however, that this book does not apply to you if you aspire for the most excellent possible band score. You will also need to acquire other resources since several sections of this book lack information, and you should not rely just on this one book. Obtaining additional reading resources will allow you to verify the classes’ specifics.
Download The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS PDF + Audio
This book is the only official guide to IELTS. IELTS exam writers have written the skills units and Practice Tests, so you can be sure they contain authentic, accurate, and up-to-date information and advice. For the first time, we have included a DVD showing IELTS Speaking tests and a commentary to explain the candidates’ scores. You can download The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS PDF + Audio by clicking on the button below.