Describe a person whose job is important to society.
You should say:
- who this person is
- what his/her profession is
- how he/she helps others
and explain why the job this person does is important to society.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
This is such an important topic to ponder over every once in a while. So, I would be more than happy today to talk about a person (and his job) who I think has a far greater impact on our society than any other person or professional.
Anyway, the person, I want to talk about, is a policeman and also a cousin of mine, who has been working in the police force for more than 5 years. Now, I don’t really want to put my police cousin in any negative light, but initially, I didn’t really like him to work in the police force because I thought that it would complicate his relationship with his family and friends by essentially turning himself into an “unsocial” fellow.
After all, as a policeman, he would almost always need to deal with all kinds of “bad” elements of our society. But, as time went on, and I found how hard and tirelessly he works in order to keep the good citizens of our country safe and secured from dangerous and criminal activities, I had no other choice but to change my mind about the job of a police officer.
Of course, some would argue that in a first-world country, like ours, police has a rather limited role to play since we all more or less are law-abiding citizens, but that may not necessarily be true always. In fact, after seeing my good cousin how he helps the elderly walk out of a grocery store and find her car in a parking lot, and helping a little, lost kid to find his parents in a stadium, I know that a police officer does a lot more than just keeping the bad elements of society at bay.
Anyway, I think, the job my cousin does is important to society because it is the dedication and hard works of police personnel, like my cousin, that we have managed to thrive and peacefully coexist in a beautiful country like ours. Besides, it is usually the police people who always extend their helping hands whenever we are in any kind of danger or distress.
Sample Answer 2:
Every honest job is noble in my opinion if it somehow helps others. While police officers risk their lives to protect the people and ensure the law and order, lawyers defend the innocents or prove a criminal guilty. Likewise, politicians devote their time and life for the greater good of the country, doctors heal our illness, scientists and researchers put our civilisation one step forward and this list goes on and on. However, for this cue card topic, I would like to talk about a person who is a teacher and in my opinion, her job is quite important to society as well as to the country.
The name of this teacher is Mary Margaret and she is an English teacher in a high school located in our area. She is in fact, a much-revered teacher among her students and colleagues and I like the invaluable contribution she has for teaching in an excellent way. Besides, she is an honest person with many other excellent qualities that make her an exemplary person in our society.
Teaching, in my opinion, is a very noble profession and makes society a better place by eradicating our ignorance and by creating an enlightened generation. This profoundly important job is done by teachers who are doing a really great job for all of us. In this present era, formal educational institutes help us to enhance our knowledge and prepare us for the future. Creating an illuminated society is the main purpose of the education and teachers are helping us to acquire the wisdom and knowledge we need to lead a better life. This is why I personally think that a teacher’s job is one of the most important jobs in our society.
Speaking of Mary Margaret, I was one of her favourite students and her teaching style was quite unique. Her excellent teaching style helped me learn many grammatical rules and use English more fluently. As a teacher, she was quite devoted and punctual. She must be very proud that some of her students are in important positions nationwide and some of them still visit her.
Cue Card Sample Answer 3:
It is indeed a pleasure to talk about a person who plays an important role in society for the nature of his profession. I feel lucky as I know such a man and he is relative to me. Mr Alfred Cadman, my uncle, is such a person who contributes greatly to society.
Uncle Cadman is my paternal uncle, and in fact, the youngest of all the three brothers from my dad’s family. He completed his graduation in journalism a few years back and now works as a journalist. I believe his work is quite important to society. He looks smart with his adventurer-like appearance and I like his humorous and courageous characters. He is around six feet in height with a bunch of solid muscles on his body. He loves to smile and helps people in their distress, and thus he is loved by all in the locality for his benevolent nature. Besides, he often participates in different types of adventurous activities and takes part in the annual adventure festival that takes place here in the last part of December every year.
By profession, uncle Cadman is a journalist and works with a local daily. He is a senior reporter cum special correspondent for our locality on the daily newspaper. He collects news and prepares reports to be published in the daily newspaper, The Daily Life. Besides collecting events for his newspaper, he tries to bring out the real facts behind the events. Often he receives misinformation over different issues but he carefully verifies the information. He is careful about the authenticity of any information and when he seems satisfied with his thorough investigation, he submits the reports to his office to be published. As a result, he remains busy all the time around the day. Often he goes out for information even at midnight to get some stories for his newspaper.
He is very cooperative with anyone. He has access to almost everywhere in the city and by dint of his profession, he is influential. So, when someone asks for help, he extends his hands towards those people and let them get the right things for them. If any officer at any government office denies providing any service to anyone without showing the exact cause, he helps the people to get the service and often report the corruption that the government officials get involved in. Besides, he is always informed about the surroundings in the locality and if smells something unusual, he tries to solve the issues immediately to prevent detrimental or unwanted impacts of the event. By this way, he always helps others and keeps the entire locality calm and peaceful.
The profession of uncle Cadman appears something more than journalism. As he is a journalist, he has some commitments to society. His job is to collect news and events, prepare them for the reporting and send to the headquarters to be published on the next day. But if he narrates everything on the report, it may bring a catastrophe for all. So, often he sends reports in a filtered manner to keep everything under control. The information he provides to the people keeps them updated which is a must to keep pace with society. Actually, if there were no journalists, it would have been impossible to get to know about surrounding events regularly.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a person whose job is important to society.
1. Everyone should admit that the role of a teacher is undeniable to form a civil society. So, Mr Hans is playing the role from a long ago. He is a university teacher here in California. He is also a social scientist as well. He helps to build a nation. Dissemination of knowledge is the foremost task to form the backbone of civil society and he is playing the most important role in sharing knowledge and ideas among his students. This is in fact, a highly important job for the social betterment. Students will learn and in future, they will form a nation based on their learning.
2. The doctors have much contribution to society and my uncle Abdullah is a doctor. He is a doctor, specialized in medicine and has his own chamber in the centre of Kuala Lumpur. He helps people by advising about their illness and how to improve the situations. His job is important because if there are no doctors in society, it would be difficult to lead a happy and healthy life. Doctors are always there to serve the people in their needs regardless of time and financial abilities.
3. Have you ever thought of food production? In fact, they are farmers who directly are involved in food production and keep everything on. My relative Le Huang is a farmer and he grows food crops in Vietnam. By producing food crops, he supplies them to the local market and people get the crops to meet their hunger and live on. This is a great contribution to society. In fact, his job is important because if farmers like him stop food production, there would be a disaster in society.
4. Honestly, we never consider the job of a firefighter important for society. But in reality, that profession is highly important. I know a man named Markus who is involved in the profession of a firefighter. He is responsible to control the fire-related incidents and he does that perfectly. A sudden fire may damage properties and lives, while the firefighters try to defeat the fire. Thus they serve society to live in peace.
5. Majority of the people have no idea what happens with the garbage that we dispose of. In fact, the garbage collectors help to clean the garbage and keeps the environment clean. Samuel is a garbage collector and cleans my domestic garbage everyday morning. He helps to keep the locality clean and nice. Without his help, it would have been difficult for us to live a decent life. Think a day when there is garbage everywhere. Hope this would be clear to describe his importance in society.