IELTS Cue Card Sample 38 – Describe a foreign country you have planned to visit
- Last Updated: Thursday, 20 February 2020 13:21
- Written by IELTS Mentor
- Hits: 84455
IELTS Speaking Part 2: IELTS Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card.
Describe a foreign country you have planned to visit.
You should say:
- where the country is
- when you are planning to visit there
- why you have planned to go there
and give details of your plan to visit the country.
- Say something about tourism development in your country, facility, services and the effect on the environment.
- What is the importance of the travel and tourism industry?
- What do you think about the function of tourist guides?
- What steps should the government take to make tourism more attractive to foreigners?
Model Answer 1:
I am glad that I have got some opportunity to visit a few foreign countries already in my life, but I plan to visit another foreign country soon. So, I must thank you for offering me this great opportunity to share this plan for my forthcoming visit.
The country, I want to visit, is called “Nepal”. Famously known as “the daughter of the mountain” or “the daughter of Himalayas”, this small South Asian country is landlocked between India and China.
Being home to eight of the world’s tallest mountains, including the Mount Everest, Nepal attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists every year from around the world. I am planning to visit this beautiful country the next summer, when I will get some time off from my job, because of its stunning natural beauties. Nepal is also a land of friendly and engaging people, where deities mingle with mortals and magnificent temples, and where monasteries and historical monuments can be found at almost every turn.
After arriving in Nepal, first, I want to travel around the beautiful capital city of “Kathmandu” in order to mingle with them and learn about their lifestyles, cultures and spiritual life. After that, I want to view the beautiful and giant mountain range of the Himalayas by visiting “Dhulikhel”, which is about two hours drive from Kathmandu. Then I plan to visit Pokhara, where Nepal’s startling beauty is at its best, which has been the subject of many travel writers. In fact, its pristine air, the spectacular backdrop of the snowy peaks of the Annapurna Range and the serene Phewa, Begnas and Rupa Lakes, makes this destination ‘the Jewel of the Himalaya’.
I also want to explore the fascinating Kathmandu Valley which is comprised of the three ancient cities, including Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur. The valley houses seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is also home to a myriad of monuments, sculptures, artistic temples and magnificent artworks. Finally, I am planning to spend about 7 days in Nepal while also trying some of their most delicious local food.
Sample Answer 2:
I have planned to visit Greece after my graduation is done. I have a relative there and he has invited me to visit his family several times. Earlier this year when I was promoted to the final year of my graduation, I have planned to visit at least one foreign country just after my graduation day. I have considered many countries and finally planned to visit Greece. It is a country in southern Europe and has around 11 million populations.
I have planned to visit Greece in the middle of the next year and would stay there for about one month. The relative I have there is my maternal uncle and he lives in Athens with his family. There is a good chance that I will be staying with them during my visit there. Greece is a culturally rich country that offers visitors and tourists a lot of amazing activities, splendid sceneries, museums, diverse culture and so on. The museums, archaeological sites and the tours offer the chance to closely know the history of this country. The islands are the main characteristic of Greece’s morphology and have become a big part of their custom and culture.
There are 2-3 main reasons I would like to visit the country. First, the invitation to visit my maternal uncle has been pending for several years and I thought it a good chance to meet them. Second, I am a big fan of mythology and Greek mythology was one of my most interesting readings for the last few years. Those stories have been so profoundly entertaining and thought-provoking and suddenly I found a great desire to visit the place in person. Though things have changed there with time, the archaeological sites and museum would walk a visitor through the past and present and would amaze them.
This is an ideal place to stay and enjoy. This is a country of crossroad colour of culture, history, diversity, the warmth of friendliness, expectation, discover and expedition. For all those reasons I have decided to visit Greece in the next year.
Tips for answering this Cue Card Question:
Talk about a country other than yours. If you have already visited a country, you can talk about this country but mention that you want to visit it instead you have visited it. Talking about a country that you know about would give you some advantages to talk about it. This cue card asks you to talk about your planning to visit the country not the details of the country about it. So mention mostly about your planning and few details about the country itself. Most of the people know more about the neighbouring countries so you can also talk about your neighbouring country.
As part of your planning mention some of the following things:
- I have been planning to visit this country for a long.
- I will go there with my friends /family members and all of us looking forward to being there.
- We have browsed the internet to know about the interesting and famous tourists spots there and we have rough planning about the places we will visit and the things we will do there.
- One of our relatives stay there and that’s why it would be easier for us to get help there.
- This is already a famous tourist’s destination and we will stay there for more than 2 weeks so that we can extensively travel there.
- We are attracted to the culture and custom of this country and would definitely enjoy our stay.
- As part of our planning to visit this country we have already done a rough estimation and planned our budget for it.
- We have heard about this country and their culture and tourists spots.
Your preparation for this cue card would help you answer the following cue card topics as well:
1. Describe a country you want to visit in the future.
2. Describe a foreign country you have visited.
3. Talk about your plan to visit a famous historical place.
4. Describe your idea of visiting a foreign country.
5. Describe a city where you have visited lately.
6. Talk about a foreign culture you know about.
7. Describe one of your neighbouring countries.
Leave a Reply