Nowadays, technology has invaded our life. Everyone has a smartphone these days in which they are using many applications like WhatsApp, Instagram, and many more for establishing social relationships and fun.
But, the WhatsApp application is the most popular application of all. It is one of the most preferred messaging applications for chats and sharing files. Everyone uses it daily to communicate with others anywhere in the world.
Millions of people worldwide also use WhatsApp to practice English and its features to make their learning more comfortable and faster.
Is it Possible to Learn English on WhatsApp?
Everything is attainable in this world when you have a good internet connection on your smartphones & Wi-Fi at home. Yes, it is possible to learn English on WhatsApp. But, nowadays, most people spend a lot of hours chatting on WhatsApp and similar messaging apps.
The primary concern is that you usually spend time here but do not use it to your advantage. If you like to chat with your friends and want to use your time actively on WhatsApp groups, then you should use it properly and learn proper ways to learn English through it.
WhatsApp is one of the most popular communication tools through which you can send messages to anyone across the world and use it to practice and learn the global language, English.
It also allows its users to improve their English skills by sending text messages, making audio and video calls, sharing documents and pictures with their mates. It is the simplest way to connect with your friends worldwide.
The app is free to download and operate; more importantly, there are no ads to get you on your nerves. This app lets you experience as many different WhatsApp groups as possible. You can study the English Language through WhatsApp text messages, voice calls, or video calls.
You can probably use this app anytime, anywhere. It will make your learning smoother and faster. Plus, you can do so even when you’re enjoying chatting with friends and family from anywhere on the planet.
How to Improve Your English Skills with WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is one of the most widespread messaging platforms nowadays.
More than 2 billion users across the earth use WhatsApp. This Meta-owned application also offers the benefits of encrypted messages, giving its users more privacy than competing messaging venues.
According to a study by the Reuters Institute, WhatsApp is becoming a great source of information in many countries. In Malaysia, 51% of individuals said they used WhatsApp to receive news, which keeps everyone up-to-date with the latest happenings in their country.
It has an expert hand in providing many beneficial features for learning and improving English Skills. WhatsApp has many attributes that can become powerful academic tools for English language learners.
Several people across the globe still find it difficult to rehearse and understand the English language as their custom and society.
The main challenge they face is that they are not getting the right opportunities and platforms to practice the English language. Some problems are teachers, methods, instructions, or motivation in providing English-speaking classroom opportunities and many more.
But, the three known features of WhatsApp with which everyone may already be familiar with that are
- WhatsApp Group Chat
- Personal Chat
- WhatsApp Calls & Video Chats
These features help in improving and practising the English language. Therefore, one only needs to know how to use these features for language improvement.
1. Use WhatsApp Group Chat
The WhatsApp Group Chat feature makes WhatsApp a more appealing application for group messages. This is a great way to stay connected with multiple users instead of sending individual messages.
WhatsApp Group chats are fun, easy to join or create. You can either create your group chat or join the millions of already available groups.
It is one of the valuable features for practicing the English language with other learners on WhatsApp with no difficulty.
It is easy to construct and start a WhatsApp group chat. Here are some easy steps to create a group chat:
- All you need to do is open the WhatsApp app on your phone.
- Once there, click on the tab New Group.
- On the new screen, either search or select the friends or participants you want to have in your group chat by tapping on their names and clicking Next.
- You can also name your group according to your wish or whatever you want to call it.
Here’s how WhatsApp group chats help in improving four core English skills:
- You can practice your writing skills through WhatsApp groups by writing and sending messages to your friends in English. This will make you familiar with new English words.
- This option also enhances your reading skills when you read participants’ messages in your WhatsApp group.
- For learning the English Language, you can chat in English with the group members in WhatsApp Group Chat. Here you can discuss all English learning tips, help to correct each other’s mistakes, and talk about anything you want to do in English.
- For improving English-speaking Skills, you can also record and send voice notes to WhatsApp Groups. This can also improve your pronunciation while speaking a new word.
- In this group chat, you can also listen to the voice notes sent by others in a group that helps in improving your listening skills.
- In these groups, you don’t need to feel shy about asking questions or offering help to other users. The only thing to remember is that your goal is to learn and improve your English language.
- WhatsApp groups are good in terms of learning English because they can be used to create a closed space that is accessible to everyone at any time. It allows easy communication and exchange of content within their mates in English.
- Learners are familiarised with communicating with each other in this medium and are familiar with the idea of sharing messages through screenshots or forwarding media within the WhatsApp group.
- English learners also benefit from having their personal space when using WhatsApp, and as a result, they don’t feel as lost as they might be in a very large classroom.
Many platforms are working to provide English language learning, but these methods are very much paid. Today, you can learn and speak English freely by joining the below English chat WhatsApp groups (see below for more details).
2. Use Personal Chat
Another great way to learn the English language or get better at it is via personal chats features on the WhatsApp application.
If anyone is too shy to chat in English learning groups, they can also use the Personal chat option on WhatsApp.
In this feature, they can enjoy the experience of chatting with a friend of yours who knows English well and with whom they feel comfortable learning.
How to use the Personal chat option in improving your English skills:
- If you have companions who know more English than you, chat with them on WhatsApp. It will help you learn and practice English more comfortably than the old boring English books.
- Here, you can have free-flowing conversations with your friends on any topic in English. This technique will help you practice informal conversation skills in English. You can gain mastery over the language with this.
- Try discussing your interests in the English language with your friends on personal chats, from movies to the latest tech news. It will help you express your thoughts and exchange ideas with everyone in English with no difficulty.
- Try Personal chatting on-to-on with a partner who will give you advice and guide you in the right direction when you make a mistake. It will help you in making correct sentence formation.
- While chatting with your friends or colleagues on WhatsApp, always try to challenge yourself and write it in complete sentences instead of slang words.
- Try to use the vocabulary or grammar concepts on WhatsApp Chat that you have already learned in your conversations. It will help you keep a good hold on new words and improve your English skills.
- Most significantly, do not be afraid of making mistakes because your mistakes are part of the learning process. This will help you see how not to write or speak specific terms and expressions while speaking the English language.
3. Use WhatsApp Calls & Video Chats
WhatsApp is not limited to writing only. Here, you can use the many features of WhatsApp to improve your English skills- like making video calls, recording, sending voice notes, and video messages to your friends.
Here’s how to use the WhatsApp Calls & Video Chats options to improve your English skills:
- The calling feature on WhatsApp will raise your English-speaking and listening skills. With this feature, you can practice English conversation with your mates and improve your verbal comprehension skills.
- WhatsApp Calls features also help you in improving your English pronunciation. Through which you can easily converse with your English-speaking friends.
- On a WhatsApp call, you also get an additional option to send a message to your friend without ending the call. You can also test this feature if you have a problem understanding what your friend is saying. With this, you can also learn about the exact word that enhances your correct spelling power.
- To be more comfortable speaking English on the phone, you can record a message using the voice message option and send it to a Personal chat or group.
- Apart from the free call option, it also has video chat features. Try to do video chat with your companion anywhere in the world for free. It will also help you become more confident when talking to other native English speakers.
- While having a video call with your friends or colleagues, watch their facial expressions and mouth movements. It will help you to understand each word clearly. It will also help you in how to pronounce each word.
7 Ways to Learn English with WhatsApp
WhatsApp is a top-rated, uncomplicated, and versatile free messaging app. It’s currently operated in over 180 nations, and over 50 million messages are sent on it every day.
More than 1.7 billion people, As of July 2017, were actively using WhatsApp, which makes it the world’s second-largest social web.
In the same way, Millions of people also use WhatsApp as an English language learning tool. This makes WhatsApp a great application for practising and learning the English language. The best part about this is that you can also enhance your four English language skills while having fun chatting with your friends on WhatsApp.
So, here are some points below that will show you how WhatsApp helps you learn English in many ways:
1. Learn from Your Contacts
WhatsApp is the most appealing application for those who don’t speak or write English very well. WhatsApp provides you with many valuable options in terms of language learning. The first one is to learn the English Language from WhatsApp contacts.
With WhatsApp, you can chat and practice your English language with people you already know or the people you have already in your WhatsApp contacts, such as friends or family. If someone new is not on your contact list, and you want to learn English from that English speaker, you can also save their contact number on your contact list. After saving his number, when you refresh the WhatsApp screen, you will see that number automatically on it.
Here, you can have one-on-one text conversations with your friends or English tutor through this app. Along with this, you can share any files, like videos in English, audio, voice notes, links, pictures, etc., with them anywhere in the world.
And, if you face any difficulties, you can talk to them about that problem.
With this, you can know your mistakes and the grammatical part where you are making mistakes.
It will help you learn and practice English more comfortably than the old boring English books. This technique will help you rehearse informal conversation skills in English with your mates daily.
2. Communication with People Worldwide
Social networks, such as WhatsApp, which are very popular among young people, are becoming increasingly popular due to their nature of meeting the needs of individuals towards socialization. WhatsApp is one of the universal and instant ways to communicate with people all over the globe.
The more languages people can choose to learn, the better the world can communicate with each other. Everyone knows that strong communication builds on excellent language skills. WhatsApp Messenger has many features like WhatsApp calling, video chatting, file sharing, pictures, audio, etc.
The individuals who are facing struggles in learning the English language, WhatsApp, are there to overcome this problem. You can make new friends through WhatsApp and communicate with them worldwide at any time. With individual chat or group chat, you can communicate with people from all over the world and share a common goal with everyone who is also learning English with you.
This will enhance your communication skills in English. It’s not necessary to write only text. You can also communicate with them anywhere through video calls or send voice and video messages.
Communicating with other individuals with similar interests will help you in many different areas. Not only will you master the English language and share your opinions, experiences, and vocabulary tips, but you may also make lifelong fellowships.
It will help you to express your thoughts and exchange ideas with everyone in English through WhatsApp at your place without any difficulty.
3. Learn While Using The App
WhatsApp is an absolute boon for English learners. While typing, it provides tips to use valuable features that make the process of learning the English language more comfortable and faster.
So, here are the helpful features which you need to learn while using the app, which will help you to learn and practice the English language: useful
- Autocorrect feature: The autocorrect feature helps you prevent WhatsApp from correcting your spelling errors automatically. When typing texts on WhatsApp, your spelling scans automatically; when the system thinks a word is misspelled, it is updated.
While using WhatsApp, you can also use the autocorrect feature on your phone. It is one of the best ways to learn proper spelling while chatting on WhatsApp.
- Spell Check: Spell-checking is the best way to learn English while using WhatsApp. You can take full advantage of these installations. This allows you to write a text without worrying about spelling errors.
Spelling correction is not an aspect of WhatsApp. It is a feature that different keyboards have for Android phones. Using this option during daily chatting, you can quickly improve your English spelling, which you are somewhat struggling with.
- Auto-capitalization: This feature is set to capitalize the first letter of each sentence by default, regardless of whether you like it or not. By this feature, you know that you should write the first letter of each sentence in capital letters while writing something in English. It will help you to learn the exact format of writing the English Language.
- Auto-space after punctuation: In the auto-space after punctuation feature, a space is inserted in the text automatically after the punctuation mark. This is a real-time saver.
With this option, English learners get to know the punctuation marks and symbols used in writing English. It will also help the learner understand how a sentence is formed, how it should be read, and where to stop in it.
4) Learn Various Cultures & Languages
It helps to bring cultures together and broaden the partnership. Tele collaborative projects help English language learners to connect with and collaborate with other cultures.
Through WhatsApp, learners from different geographic regions engage in online, cooperative interactions using Internet-based communication tools to develop linguistic, cultural, and intercultural competencies. Its features, such as accessibility, interactivity, immediacy, and permanency, help English learners to improve their language skills.
In addition, it also facilitates social interaction, the exchange of data, and collaboration with other learners.
The participants’ linguistic, personal, and social development and the available chances contribute to the global interaction to occur through this Internet tool.
Here are the benefits you get through WhatsApp:
- The first is about the linguistic benefits of group interactions through WhatsApp and video calls since English language learning is a dynamic process requiring constant exposure and practice.
- It provides ample opportunities for participants to perform and practice in the English language by interacting with mates belonging to different cultures.
- It also helps enhance their four core English skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
5. Receive Feedback from Group Chats
WhatsApp is a great platform where you get immediate messaging support, receive feedback from group chats and give many new learning opportunities.
WhatsApp helps English learners by facilitating communication with other English learners and instructors. It also enhances collaborative learning by sharing educational information.
Everyone knows that the partnership makes the dream work. Group chat is a useful option in WhatsApp that allows English learners to discuss their problems with their group mates.
Through Group Chats, you can receive immediate feedback from your mates and your English instructor, who will advise and guide you in the right direction when you make a mistake. It will help you in making correct sentence formation.
In recent times, WhatsApp has turned itself into a pseudo-e-learning forum.
English instructors use WhatsApp to share files, documents, audio, videos, images, links, and much more on WhatsApp group chats with learners. These features make learning interesting for English learners without worrying about making mistakes.
The trainers also give them timely feedback based on their performance. By getting meaningful feedback, learners can improve their skills by practising their weak areas. It provides flexible learning to the learners and makes their learning burden-free. This is how WhatsApp makes learning English easy.
In this, every English learner on WhatsApp can benefit from the background, skills, and understanding of their peers. They can ask questions, offer their ideas, express their concerns in a supportive setting and receive feedback according to it.
6. Fun and Engaging App while Learning English
WhatsApp is one of the fun and engaging Apps for English learning. Collaborating with others living anywhere to learn English makes it much more fun than conventional education or learning by yourself.
You can discuss the latest movies, trends, latest technology, and many more topics in English with your peers on group chat or an in-person chat. It will help you express your views in English without difficulty and exchange ideas with everyone.
You can also share several videos, voice notes, audios, photos, link movies with your friends on WhatsApp chats to learn English. With this, you can also improve your vocabulary and grammatical errors.
As a fun and engaging app, you can also do WhatsApp conference calls with your friends living anywhere in the world. This option is the perfect way to practice English conversation and improving your verbal comprehension skills.
This is a great way to get a more intuitive pronunciation of the English language on the phone, which can often be more challenging than face-to-face discussions.
You can also opt for WhatsApp video conference calls with your friends. It is an excellent opportunity to practice your English listening and speaking skills. Watching their facial expressions and mouth movements will help you understand each word clearly. It will also help you in how to pronounce each word.
Everyone likes social interaction. It’s true if you like to go alone from time to time, but if you depend on social groups like WhatsApp chat groups for chit-chat and to share life experiences, then it is an enjoyable and engaging thing to do.
7. Improves Your Confidence
Learning a new language is good for your mental health; It challenges you to shoot down your acceptable neurons. Plus, it gives you confidence in which you see yourself improving in a particular area.
In this era of technological advancements, lecturers, especially English learners, must be aware of the technology, particularly portable technology. It helps in improving their speaking confidence.
In terms of instant ways of communication, WhatsApp is one of the great platforms that helps enhance learners’ English skills. It improves the English speaking ability of the learners, through which they can get high confidence and motivation to learn this international language.
English speaking skills through WhatsApp groups can be set as audio and video chat-based platforms. Through this, English learners can also solve their problems in terms of self-confidence and get the motivation to speak in English.
People who speak global languages are often great at creative problem-solving because knowing one universal language allows you to see the world differently. It is helpful for those who always lack confidence and hesitate to speak in English in front of their classmates.
Building confidence among learners is another one of the best ways to learn English With WhatsApp.With Learning English, the learners can overcome the barrier of hesitation.
Therefore, knowing English language skills is valuable in educational and social situations. The English language also provides a way to communicate their ideas more effectively and confidently with others and boost their self-confidence.
In short, you can say that English is only a key that unlocks all the doors of your personality, and it can be possible only if you gain it through the right platform, like WhatsApp.
9+ WhatsApp Groups that Can Help You Learn English
WhatsApp Messenger is an instant messaging app. It allows its users to send text messages and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share images, documents, pictures, links, and other media.
This tool helps in practicing the English language and is used by anyone anywhere.
Through WhatsApp groups, you can improve your four core English skills.
Here, you can practice your writing reports as you write and send messages, your reading skills as you read the messages of the other associates, your speaking skills as you can record and send voice notes, and your listening as you listen to the other member’s voice notes.
If you have WhatsApp on your phone, follow the link next to each WhatsApp group. If you do not have WhatsApp installed on your phone, you can download it from Play Store and Appstore.
Before joining the group and discussing it with other learners, ensure you have read the rules and instructions regarding the group. Respect the opinions of other members and be polite while discussing your problems with them.
Rules of Learning the English Language through WhatsApp Group:
- Respect all the members of the group.
- Don’t share any fake information with anyone in the group.
- English learning posts can only be shared within the group.
- Do not change group icon and group name without administrator permission
- Don’t add any new candidates without permission.
- If you face any problem, contact group admin through text message.
- Don’t share any personal content/YouTube videos within the group.
- In a group, Don’t post any religious content.
- Nudity, bad photographs, and bad videos are strictly not allowed.
- Stay active and share what you have relevant content.
- Try to enter two groups maximum so that others may take a chance.
So, here are some of the best WhatsApp groups made for learning and improving the English language.
So, here is the list of some WhatsApp group links:
1. English Voice Notes Group
This group provides you with an environment to practice and improve your spoken English, but sending text messages is not allowed in this WhatsApp group.
The best thing about this group is that you can also use your native language for help in learning the English language if your English is not good enough. Then you have to join one of these groups depending on your native language.
2. The English Group
Learners having variable English proficiency levels find you in this WhatsApp group.
This group is excellent because everyone, no matter how advanced their English knowledge skills, is ready to respond or help you with any doubts and queries you may have. If you want to join the group and it’s full, wait a bit and try it again. Also, the admins of this group remove inactive users daily.
3. English Practice Group
It is one of those functional groups where you can practice your English without fear. If you make an error at this step, the group members help you correct your errors instead of laughing at your mistake or your pronunciation. This group enables you to enhance your English skills.
4. Speak English Fluently
It is one of the best groups for English-speaking practice. In this group, sending text messages is not allowed, but you can speak to others via voice notes or audio messages.
5. English Club
This group is for practicing and learning the English language. The group consists of learners with a high level of English proficiency.
The group helps you to enhance your English skills. In this group, learners who do not have a basic knowledge of the English language are not allowed.
6. B2 to C2 English Level Group
It is one of the best WhatsApp groups- suitably for especially Upper-Intermediate English level to Advanced English level. This group aims to improve your writing and speaking skills which help you express your thoughts and ideas better in English. For international communication, you can also use this group to communicate with people worldwide.
Here, you also get to participate in debates and other activities within the WhatsApp group through which you can hold on to the English language.
7. English Group
In this group, you will get- how to learn and speak the English language by using shortcut tricks. In this group, you can use the only English language no other mother tongue can use.
This group also provides relevant English learning material such as pictures, audio files, English videos, voice messages, and much more.
8. Walky Talky English Group
It is one of the best groups which mainly focus on enhancing the four core English skills, i.e., listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Here are some of this group’s rules, which you must follow if you want to be a member of this group.
- Don’t send porn or dirty talks within a group.
- Don’t overload the group with sending stickers and unnecessary videos and images.
- Respect all the members of the group.
- Be active in the group for at least 5 minutes per day.
- Avoid political and religious topics.
- If you face any problem, contact group admin through text message.
- Don’t share any personal content/YouTube videos within the group.
- Discrimination and annoying behavior won’t be allowed.
9. Walky Talky Gate Pass English Group
You can improve your English language through this group, and you will make new friends from all over the world within this group. In this group, you can get to know the admins and, after talking to them, will be sent to a close and friendly English group.
You do not receive spam, scammers, or unwanted calls and private messages here. If you have any doubts related to anything, you can discuss them with your group members within the group.
So, here are some of the latest English Learning WhatsApp Group Join Links controlled by a professional team.
You can simply join these groups from the below list with the people who want to learn and improve their English communication skills through WhatsApp.
With their increasing time, scope, and frequency of use, internet technologies have started to shape the way individuals form and share content and their way of communication. WhatsApp is one such platform that focuses on improving communicative language learning skills.
Many learners across the globe still find difficulty in practising and understanding English in their community. WhatsApp offers to evaluate the English learner’s performance through authentic interaction and feedback within the Whatsapp group.
In this case, WhatsApp mobile tool offers many features like video calling, voice messages, sharing files, personal chats, and many more. These features can support English learning among learners, whether in writing or reading skills. It also improves the English proficiency levels of the learners, through which they can get high confidence and motivation to learn this international language.
It may seem that WhatsApp is not only for chit-chatting. It also has its other side, which gives you the actual benefit of language practice.
If you take a more in-depth look, you will also see that the fun way of WhatsApp is the better way to learn English.
Leave a Reply