Describe an invention that you believe has changed how people live.
You should say:
- what invention it is
- whether it is more important for older or younger people
- what benefits it has brought
and explain how it has changed people’s lives.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
People have invented so many things from the beginning of its history in order to make their life easier and more comfortable. Today, I would like to talk about one such invention here that basically revolutionized the way we work and live.
The name of this invention is called “computers” which has arguably has been considered as the most successful and life-changing invention in the last 4 decades or so because of solving all kinds of problems every minute of our life.
From storing huge amounts of data and information in a small piece of hardware to calculating very complex mathematical problems in a fraction of a second to helping people communicate with one another in different parts of the world, there is hardly any work, industry or office where computers are not used today. It is because of using computers that we can finish complex tasks at the office in minutes instead of waiting a week. Besides, it is the computers automated system that allows manufacturing companies to manufacture hundreds of vehicles in a day which would have probably taken years to do.
Not to mention, of course, a huge benefit it has brought in making numerous new discoveries in the space as well as in the other planets. So, really, the benefits of computer are numerous whether we are just using to browse something with the help of internet or trying to calculate the rotation speed of a new planet in a new solar system. By the way, the best thing about this computer is that everybody, regardless of their age or professional affiliation, uses this computer and benefit from it in one way or another.
So, anyway, computer indeed has changed our lives by not only making us more efficient at our homes, works and offices but also offered a huge sense of mental relief to us. Besides, it has also helped us to make new discoveries in order to bring many other new benefits for humanity.
Sample Answer 2:
The cellular phone is one of the greatest technological inventions of this century. It has changed people’s lives profoundly. A large number of people use cell phones and get benefits in many ways. This device is commonly known as mobile phones to many and almost everyone proudly owns at least a one of this device. This is a nice cue card topic and I feel lucky to have this on my share.
The use of the cellular phone has become a part and parcel of people around the world. Earlier, people used to make communication through telephones (also known as landlines) but with the invention of cellular technology, they are using this one for its immense advantages. People can make phone calls for various purposes and it is cost-effective too. The other important benefit is that they can make phone calls at any time of the day at any part of the world. Distance is no longer a barrier to communication. Moreover, people can carry their mobile phone with them which is another important benefit of using this technology. With the evolution and innovation of mobile phones, people use them for many other purposes which include playing games, making video calls, tracking cars, updating social profiles, uploading pictures, chatting with friends, using utility applications, watching videos and listening to music. the list of utility is quite large.
The most important benefit of a cellular phone is that it helps to make phone calls at a cheaper rate. The call rates are attractive and people can choose the right subscriber for their needs. Moreover, the compnanies provide various types of offers for their clients. People also get some attractive phone sets which look stunning than the old-model phones with large cables behind them.
The cellular phones are more important for older people than the younger. But in the present days, younger people are also using cellular phones for their needs. In fact, in this modern age, this is really impossible to do without a cellular phone. So, people of all ages are using them and meeting their needs. However, smartphones are more popular among the young generation while senior citizens mostly prefer features phones.
More Ideas to help you prepare your own answer:
Cue Card Topic: Describe an invention that changed how people live.
1. The computer is one of the greatest inventions the world has ever seen. It has changed people’s lives to a great extent. In fact, this is impossible to pass a single day without using a computer for most of the people. Today, computers are used for numerous purposes. They are used to analyze data, medical science relies heavily on it and even designing rocket and detecting crimes involves this technology. The use of computers is not limited to some sectors rather it is widespread now. This is a great invention for every age of people.
2. Large televisions are wonderful to enjoy programmes and events. Earlier, people used to watch television on small screens. But with the passage of time and technological advancement, larger televisions have emerged. It has brought huge benefits to the users. They can now enjoy television programmes on the larger screen which is also beneficial for their eye health. Since people of all ages enjoy television, this is important for both the adult and younger people.
3. The use of microwave oven is widespread now. This a modern invention and has influenced the lives of people greatly. The oven is used to heat the foods. And earlier, people often were unable to cook or heat food so quickly. With the application of a microwave oven, they can do it easily now. It is highly beneficial for everyone now. This is not suitable for older or younger people rather a perfect thing for people who remain busy and have less time to cook food frequently.
4. The invention of compact disc or CD is a great one and has changed the lives of millions of people across the world. The CD is used to store data and information in a digital format. Anyone can use the CD to store the necessary information, audio, video and other materials and they are not damaged apparently. This is the greatest benefit of using a CD. People of all ages can use it for their needs regardless of their age.
5. The use of a digital camera is found everywhere. They do not have any film rolls inside; rather they use memory cards to digitally store photos. This has shaped up life differently. Earlier, people had to remain careful while taking pictures and the limitation is gone. Photographers can take as many photos as they want. The digital camera is more important for younger people than the older one.