With Reading, we often hear complaints about “long reading”, “many difficult vocabulary” or “reading all but still choosing the wrong answer!”. Lack of vocabulary, lack of ideas, or lack of time are also reasons why learners cannot do well in the Writing test. These often stem from learners focusing too much on practice and forgetting about the necessary technical skills for the test. Understanding this, 9IELTS would like to recommend the book: Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing.
Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing is part of the Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies series of books. The book series is developed by leading experts on the IELTS test, covering all 4 skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
In the first book, Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing, the authors provide practical test-taking suggestions and tips, tested by review classes and post-exam candidates, arranged logically and clearly, accompanied by exercises to help hone reading and writing skills.
Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading and Writing Review
Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing is divided into 3 main parts:
- The first part introduces the structure, format and how to do types of tests that appear in the Reading test for both IELTS Academic and General Training formats.
- The second part provides the general structure, form and techniques of IELTS Writing.
- The third part is answering the exercises (Answers) of the Reading / Writing part and the vocabulary grid (Vocabulary grid).
Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing is especially suitable for those who have just started their IELTS preparation journey and have Reading– Writing ability equivalent to band 3.5 on the IELTS scale. This is because the instructions in the book are presented in an easy-to-understand manner, accompanied by the knowledge of basic vocabulary – grammar, and the application exercises are minimized.
Pros & Cons
As the name promises, Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing provides useful exercises to form and apply practical Reading and Writing skills to the types of papers in the IELTS test.
Consider Reading as an example. To do a Reading test, it is not simple that you know a lot of vocabulary and rely on it to read the passage from beginning to end, because in the IELTS Reading test, candidates need to read more than 2000 words in less than 60 minutes ( because it takes a few minutes to transfer the answer to the answer sheet and check it again), not to mention the fact that you have to read and brainstorm to answer the question. Therefore, to be successful in a Reading lesson needs a lot of subskills, such as Previewing, Skimming & Scanning, Intensive reading, Guessing words from the context,… and Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing will help you form and develop these essential skills.
At the end of the book, the author has attached a “Vocabulary grid” to learn vocabulary by topic. It is a table for learners to record new words learned in the same case (theme), with the requirement to find their entire word family (e.g. noun, verb, adjective, adverb). , antonyms and even stress. This helps learners form a mindset about learning vocabulary properly, that is, not only learning a single word, but also paying attention to related word forms and types because it dramatically affects the usage of words. of that vocabulary.
However, Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing focuses on helping learners become familiar with test-taking strategies and supporting skills for the Reading and Writing sections – including many different exercises with relatively easy difficulty, but is generally relatively basic.
In addition, IELTS documents do not have complete sample test questions for all 4 skills (full IELTS Tests), so it is unsuitable for readers who need to practice quickly to prepare for the last leg of the review journey. For those of you with urgent needs, you can find alternative IELTS preparation books specifically designed for the test preparation stage, such as the popular Cambridge IELTS series, or Succeed in IELTS 9 Practice Tests, …
Some types of Writing questions in the book are outdated and are no longer tested in the IELTS test in recent years, such as report writing.
Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading and Writing Study Guide
Because some questions in Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing are no longer widely used, you need to carefully study the format, content and topics of the IELTS exam in recent years to selectively filter the test and avoid wasting time and effort on outdated post formats.
To overcome the significant problems in both Reading and Writing skills, you can refer to the application of LinearThinking method – an entirely new way developed by 9IELTS’s academic team with the hope of transforming the skills of reading and writing skills partially. Difficult Reading and Writing become “breathable”.
- LinearThinking in Reading consists of 2 main steps: Simplify and Read connections. In the simplified step, you try to simplify long sentences with complex structures in a paragraph, based on searching for keywords containing the sentence’s main idea. Next, to the “real connections” step, you observe the factors that link sentences, roughly called “linkers” to find the semantic and contextual relationships between the sentences in the text Paragraph. Finding this connection opens up a massive clue to the answers to the questions on the Reading test.
- LinearThinking in Writing also needs to take 2 steps. The first step is to analyze the topic, and note the analysis of keywords to find the main ideas related (main idea/argument). Going to the second step, based on the main points above, you develop additional supporting ideas for each corresponding point. Accordingly, you will build a complete outline with enough concepts and some necessary vocabulary to confidently enter the writing stage.
Download Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading and Writing Free
You access the links below to download the book Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing and start practising Reading and Writing skills immediately! Prepare for IELTS Skills and Strategies Reading & Writing is an IELTS preparation material suitable for IELTS preparation students. The presentation and expression of the book are also very intuitive and easy to understand, with a moderate amount of exercises and close to the IELTS program. The book deserves to be in the archives of the martyrs. Good luck!