Describe a long car journey you went on.
You should say:
- where you went
- how long it took
- who was with you
and explain why you took the journey in a car.
[You will have to talk about the topic for one to two minutes. You have one minute to think about what you are going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.]
Model Answer 1:
Taking a car and hitting the road on a bright sunny day is one of my favourite things to do, especially when I have some free time to spare and also when I get a little bored. The longer is the journey, the better it gets, as far as I am concerned. Today, I would like to talk about one such long car journey which I undertook about a year ago during the summer.
Our destination was “Banff National Park” in Alberta. By the way, we were four friends all together, and we had earlier decided that we would travel to the famous park. But, the question was whether we would take an aerial route to arrive there or drive a car. After long “deliberation”, we finally decided that we would travel there by car because it was going to be more fun. But, it was going to be a long journey as it would have taken us approximately 7-10 hours, depending on the traffic situation.
So, we decided to hit the road real early with our “camper van” which was loaded with everything we needed, from under-seat luggage storage to a mini kitchen, and a cosy “penthouse” rooftop tent. Since it was going to be a long journey, we believed we would need to eat at least twice, while driving on the road. So we took veggie burgers with lettuce buns, eggs, cheese, and soy chorizo for breakfast scrambles, cheese tortellini with Pesto Sauce, camembert, crackers and plenty of water. There were several routes for us to take, but we decided to drive on Trans-Canada Highway number 1 because it was the most scenic route of all.
Anyway, I took this long car journey, primarily because I wanted to get out of the “boredom” of a very long and tiring work schedule of the previous months. Besides, I wanted to see and enjoy the stunning views of Rocky Mountain peaks, turquoise glacial lakes, a picture-perfect mountain town and village, abundant wildlife and scenic drives from up close while driving to Canada’s first national park called “Banff National Park”.
Sample Answer 2:
I went to St. Petersburg from Moscow a few months ago, and I drove my car the whole time on the road. It was a fabulous experience for me. I, along with two of my friends, went there to attend the marriage ceremony of one of my cousins. Actually, he invited my family, but my family members could not make it due to other priorities. So, I made the journey and took two of my friends with me. It was a fun experience for us and I would like to thank you for this nice cue card topic.
It took around 14 hours for us to reach St. Petersburg from our house in Moscow. Actually, I could have reached there earlier, but I drove slowly considering the safety on the road. I never crossed the limit of 80 kilometres per hour. Besides, we took a few breaks on the highway which also added an hour or so to our total travel time.
Boris and Valery accompanied me on the journey and both of them are my childhood friends. We live in the same neighbourhood. Since they were free at that time, they agreed to go with me.
I decided to make the journey by car because my friends thought that it would be more fun and comfortable. Besides, air tickets were expensive and we did not want to spend a large sum of money on an air journey. I think we took the right decision as it was a memorable car journey for us. The beautiful road views and the favourite music on the car added a different dimension to our experience.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card topic:
Cue Card Topic: Describe a long car journey you went on.
1. My recent trip on the Columbia Scenic Highway was impressive. The road offered beautiful natural views, and the journey was fascinating. The landscape by the side of the road was breathtaking.
2. The journey at Northern Ireland’s coastal route a few months ago was highly delightful. I could not stay there during the entire trip as I had to return home for some emergencies. But I enjoyed the drive and drove around 100 kilometres at a stretch.
3. I went on a long road trip from Mumbai to Pune Expressway. It was a 393-kilometre drive, and the view on both sides of the road was exquisite. The road was new, and I enjoyed driving on such a plain and safe road.
4. The S313 Highway provides stunning views for anyone in a car. It is a 150-kilometres highway starting from Xinduqiao, which ends in Danba. Some Tibetan areas appear during the drive, and it is quite beautiful. I loved the golden meadows the most, and the tour was exceptional to tell you the truth.
5. I went to visit Thailand earlier this year and drove from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai. The seven-hour drive was impressive. It was a comfortable journey, and I observed different national parks of the country from a distance during the journey.
6. The long ride to Bukit Tinggi from Kuala Lumpur was an outstanding experience for me. The charming hillside-town was a great place and gave a French countryside like experience to me. It was an adventurous ride, no doubt.
7. My recent ride at Black Forest Panama Route in Germany is perhaps the best experience of riding a car in my life. The forests, landscapes, gentle winds, and farmhouses are still vivid in my mind. It was a 143-mile-long road, and I was amazed at the beauty of it.
8. I believe the Amalfi Coast is the best place for drivers who seek a long-distance trip. My last trip started from Naples, and I was stunned by the surrounding views. This 108-mile-long road has different places to stop to take a break.
9. The wonderful track at the Verdon Gorge circuit in France gave me a memorable experience. In fact, the entire region is fascinating, and I stopped at some of the small market towns for short breaks. I enjoyed the 115 miles ride thoroughly.
Your preparation for this cue card topic would help you talk about the following topics as well:
1. Describe a journey that you enjoyed a lot.
2. Describe a journey you remember well.
3. Describe a tour or journey that took you a long time.
4. Describe a journey that was not up to your expectation.
5. Describe a pleasant journey you recently have had.
Leave a Reply