Describe a writer you would like to meet.
You should say:
- who the writer is
- what you know about this writer already
- what you would like to find out about him/her
and explain why you would like to meet this writer.
Model Answer 1:
In my mind, I think that the 20th century has produced more prolific and accomplished writers, with the finest minds, than any other times in human history. Today, I would like to talk about one such writer who I would certainly like to meet without even wasting a second.
The name of this world-famous writer is Ernest Hemmingway. Though he dies many years ago, I would still want to travel back in time and meet this great writer.
I came to learn about this great writer for the first time when we all had to read “The old man and the sea” in our high school. Of course, back then, I had no clue whatsoever about what actually made a great writer. But, as I grew older and started to read more and more books, I eventually understood the tricks of being a great writer.
Anyway, Ernest Hemmingway was an American journalist, novelist, and short-story writer. Born in the year of 1939, this writer didn’t really gain much fame during his lifetime, but he certainly had his fair share of admiration from the later generations because of his adventurous lifestyle (took part in the first world war and also was a journalist during the second world war) and great public image. Having a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, Ernest Hemmingway’s many works are considered to be classics in American literature today. However, his greatest success came when he got The Nobel Prize in Literature 1954 for his mastery of the art of narrative and the influence on contemporary style.
Anyway, I would like to meet Ernest Hemmingway, even if means I will need to travel back in time, because there are still so much to know about him, such as what really motivated him to be a writer even though he had the opportunity to pursue another career. I would also like to know how it really felt to witness the two most devastating wars in human history. I would like to meet him also because it would allow me to learn the tricks of writing my experience, just as he did, in a minimal fashion. After all, I also want to become a writer someday.
Sample Answer 2:
Joanna Rowling, who is more popularly known as J.K. Rowling is the writer I would love to meet and spend some time with. She is a British Novelist and the creator of the world-famous Harry Potter Series.
She was born on 31st July 1965 in Yale, England. Besides writing, she is also a screenwriter, film producer and researcher. She was employed as a researcher for Amnesty International when she conceived the idea for the Harry Potter while on a delay for the train in 1990. Her fantasy series books Harry Potter gained worldwide attention and sold over four hundred million copies. She also worked as a producer of the movie series Hary Potter. Besides writing for children, she also wrote 4 books for adult readers. Time magazine named her as a runner-up for the Person of the year in 2007 and she is now the 197the richest person in the UK whose fortune worth around 600 million Pound. Currently, she is the mother of 3 children and married to Neil Murray.
What would I like to find out about her? Interesting question! But honestly speaking, I would like to know about her daily life and interests -what she does, how she speaks with her fans, whether she cooks or not, what she does with her children and husband, what type of dresses she wear, what type of house she lives in and so on and on. I would also like to discuss her writing career, what’s her plan on writing more fantasy books for children and what motivates her to write. Finally, I would like to know the types of books she likes to read and what special qualities an aspiring writer should have.
She is my childhood hero and I have always wanted to meet her. Her books are quite special to me and helped me develop my imagination. Sometimes her books inspired me to a great extent. I would like to know about the creator of Harry Potter and learn about her more. The way she had influenced millions of children all around the world is quite unmatched. I would like to spend some time with her and know more about his living legend.
Sample Answer 3:
Writing is a great profession and I believe the writers come with a special type of virtues. So, meeting the writers is interesting and I would like to meet Stephen King for his extraordinary story developing capability, especially horror and mysterious stories.
Stephen Edwin King, commonly known as Stephen King to his readers, was born in 1947. He is also famous for his pen name – Richard Bachman. King is skilled in composing stories in genres like horror, mystery, science fiction, supernatural fiction and others. Some of his books are bestsellers while some of the books have been adapted for films as well. Besides, his books are globally admired and even comic books have also been made with the characters created on his books. So far, King has created around 54 books under his authorship and Shawshank Redemption is one of the greatest movies of all time which is adapted from one of his books of the similar name.
To me, King is one of the greatest writers of all times. He is famous for his distinctive style of narration and the plots are undoubtedly extraordinary. He has also achieved some prestigious awards for his contribution to the US literature. To make the long story short, King has achieved a wide number of awards and his works have been nominated for adaptations. His father was a merchant seaman from Peru in Indiana. But King’s family had to experience hardship as his father had left the family with a trick. It is said that the death of one of his dearest friends, in his childhood, made him inspired to create his darker works. His interest to write horror might have appeared from the reading of horror comics in his early days.
As far as I realise, King had a spiky childhood. He was deprived of fatherly affection and love. A substantial portion of his life underwent amid hardship, struggle and survival were challenging. His academic career also experienced some shocks. But he overcame all the obstacles to his success. Now he is one of the most influential writers. He is a wealthy man now. He can do whatever he wants in terms of a writer, an influential person and a revered celebrity. But I would like to dig deeper into his life. In fact, it is impossible for everyone to overcome the adversities of life. The majority of them get ruined while the remaining are abolished from the earth. But there are some exceptional people who have overcome the barriers to success. So, I would like to find out and know about the secrets that have kept him so energetic and inspired. Actually, I want to learn from his firsthand experience to stand upright amid thousands of troubles.
There are people who are extraordinary in every aspect. I sense King is one of them and even a five-minute meet with him may teach me a large number of things. In fact, the things I will learn from him are unavailable in books, seminars or in other meetings. These are his real-life experiences and invaluable. So, is I have a chance to meet him, I would come to know about the undisclosed issues of life. Moreover, it is a dream for me to meet my dearest writer. If I can meet him, I could come to a conclusion on how to deal with the adversities of life. In fact, the meet with King is beneficial for me in several aspects.
More Ideas to talk about this Cue Card/ Candidate Task Card topic:
Topic: Describe a writer you would like to meet.
1. Meeting an author is interesting and if his books are bestsellers, the enjoyment doubles. So, I would like to meet Haruki Murakami. He is a Japanese writer and famous for his outstanding thoughts and writing style. His books are sold beyond the country borders. He writes both fiction and non-fiction. I would like to know how he makes the story plots and adds new characters to the plot. I also would like to meet him because he is a living legend in different parts of the world for his novels. Meeting this great man would be a great pleasure for me indeed.
2. I would never miss the chance to meet Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie. He is a British Indian novelist. He is also famous for his exceptional essays. Many of his writings have been awarded prestigious prizes. I have some specific queries such as how he gets the ideas to make historical fictions. I also want to know about his personal life and how he handled all the problems that he experienced for his authorship. I have a fascination for this writer for his controversial writing. So, I would like to meet him.
3. Meeting with Ian Russell McEwan would be a pleasure for me because I admire him the most. He is a living legend to me and this English writer has also influenced me in some aspects of my life. His first novel – “The Cement Garden” is still adored by all. Besides, he also has earned a nickname – Ian Macabre. I want to know about the way he thinks or considers things for a story. I want to meet him to talk about different issues about life and get to know his point of view.
4. Many of the writers have started their writing at an early age and Michael Chabon is one of them. He was only 25 when he started writing. He is a Jewish writer and lives in the USA. He has several books under his authorship and all of them are highly commendable. And I also love his short stories. I want to know more about him like how he manages the splendid ideas and materializes the ideas through words. In fact, the way he writes is a mystery to me. I want to discover the riddle.
5. Some of the writers have different professions other than writing and Rosa Montero is one such jewel. In line with her writing career, she is a successful journalist too. And she has won several prizes for her writing. I have some queries about her like how she manages time for her writing despite being highly busy with her journalism career. I would like to meet her because I also want to start writing. This is my hobby and some tips from her would be so useful to me.
Part 3: Discussion topics:
Reading and children:
Q. What kinds of book are most popular with children in your country? Why do you think that is?
Q. Why do you think some children do not read books very often?
Q. How do you think children can be encouraged to read more?
Reading for different purposes:
Q. Are there any occasions when reading at speed is a useful skill to have? What are they?
Q. Are there any jobs where people need to read a lot? What are they?
Q. Do you think that reading novels is more interesting than reading factual books? Why is that?