Writing is considered a complicated skill in IELTS preparation, especially for self-study. Choosing IELTS Writing study materials is extremely important because learners can waste a lot of time if they choose a material that is not suitable for their current level. Understanding that difficulty, through this article, the author will introduce the book Smart IELTS Writing in the hope of providing information about valuable resources, suitable for the beginner’s level of IELTS preparation so that they can help learners save time and effort.
- Smart IELTS Writing book provides readers with knowledge, advice and how to do each type of question in the IELTS Writing section.
- The book will give readers an overview and insight into the IELTS Writing test, thinking, and effective writing methods with necessary vocabulary and grammatical structures.
- The book is not designed according to each topic in IELTS Writing.
- Readers need to carefully read the introduction of each chapter and then perform 6 review steps to achieve high efficiency. Along with that, perseverance in the learning process will help readers improve their writing skills in IELTS Writing.
Smart IELTS Writing book is part of Smart IELTS Writing, Smart IELTS Speaking, Smart IELTS Listening and Smart IELTS Reading books, compiled by two authors Hanna Hu and James Brown.
Smart IELTS Writing book is written to help readers understand all the questions in the IELTS Writing test (Academic and General) by analyzing and explaining each question that may appear in the IELTS test. Writing, and the book also provides some valuable tips for Writing Task 1 and Writing Task 2, along with a list of important vocabulary in each question type and sample articles.
Smart IELTS Writing Review
The book is divided into 5 main parts with 25 chapters.
Part 01: “About IELTS Writing” (from chapter 1 to chapter 5)
In this section, the book will provide readers with useful knowledge, an overview of IELTS Writing including giving information about IELTS Writing Task 1 General, Writing Task 1 Academic and IELTS Writing Task 2, and analysis. Analyze the scoring criteria in the IELTS Writing Test.
With IELTS Writing Task 1 Academic, the book will help readers practice finding general information and essential information in the test, and the basic steps to do an IELTS Writing Task 1 Academic.
With IELTS Writing Task 1 General, the book will help readers practice how to make an intention when writing, and complete the suggested points in the test, along with a call to action and the end of the letter.
Moreover, this chapter also has sections on how to generate ideas, how to get ideas, and how to generate ideas with any IELTS Writing Task 2 topic. The book also helps readers arrange the essay layout to have a coherent and logical article by analyzing how to develop and add Supporting Ideas to the article. And finally, how to present ideas into a complete article, along with a ‘check list’ before, during and after doing an IELTS Writing Task 2.
Part 02: Task 1 Academic Writing (from chapter 6 to chapter 13)
In this part, the book will be divided into small chapters, each chapter represents a type of question in IELTS Writing Task 1 Academic (Line Graphs, Bar Charts, …). Readers will be provided with useful information, advice, grammar points, and vocabulary for each question type. Attached are the author’s sample questions and answers.
Part 03: Task 1 General Training Writing (from chapter 14 to chapter 16)
Similar to part 2, in part 3, there are 3 chapters representing 3 types of letters in IELTS Writing Test General. The book will also provide readers with helpful information, advice, grammar points, and vocabulary for each type of letter. Attached are sample questions and answers.
Part 04: Task 2 (from chapter 17 to chapter 22)
Part 04 is divided into 6 chapters, corresponding to 06 types of questions in IELTS Writing Task 2 Academic. Readers will be provided with information, advice, useful grammar points, and vocabulary lists for each type of topic. Attached are the author’s sample questions and answers.
Part 05: Practice (from chapter 23 to chapter 25)
In this part, the book will guide readers on how to divide time in the IELTS Writing test (including 2 Tasks) and the practice part of Task 1 and Task 2.
Key points in Smart IELTS Writing book
- A short introduction to each question type in the IELTS Writing Test. In this section, the book will introduce readers to the main elements and components in each type of question, along with tips and advice so that readers can understand an overview of a chapter.
- Simulate question. Here, the book will inform readers of some questions that may be encountered in the IELTS Writing test according to each type of question.
- Sample Answers – Here, the book will provide the reader with two sample answers to the question in the previous section. This includes a low score answer and a high score answer. The book will analyze why one article gets a low score and why the other can get a high score.
- Grammar Structure – Here, the book will list the important grammatical structures shown by the high-scoring answers in the previous section to help readers improve their grammar and writing skills.
- Essential vocabulary – Here, the book will list the words and phrases found in the above answer, these words and phrases will be translated into Vietnamese to help readers improve their vocabulary effectively effective.
- Application Exercise – An exercise corresponding to the type of question in the previous section is presented to allow the reader to practice. It is accompanied by a sample answer and some advice from the book so that readers can do the exercises more easily and effectively.
Smart IELTS Writing book will be most suitable for IELTS learners at Basics level, especially those who are just starting to learn IELTS Writing (0 – 3.5).
Pros & Cons
Smart IELTS Writing book will give readers a deeper insight into the IELTS Writing test, through reading Smart IELTS Writing book, readers can practice writing thinking effectively, arrange The most optimal writing department, helping readers improve their grammar and vocabulary, and especially helping readers form a correct mindset when approaching an IELTS Writing test.
Along with a simple but effective presentation, readers can see that important words (keywords) will be bold.
In each chapter, the book will provide and analyze for the reader a bad and good article. Thereby helping readers draw points to avoid to help the article not get low scores and issues to do to improve the article.
In chapter 05, the book will provide techniques for finding ideas for IELTS Writing Task 2.
Besides the good points, the book has some limitations such as:
The book is not designed according to each type of topic in IELTS Writing, but only focuses on analyzing and explaining each topic in IELTS Writing.
The book is written in English, except for the vocabulary list that has been translated into Vietnamese. Hence, readers need basic English knowledge to effectively use the book.
Smart IELTS Writing Study Guide
In the first part (from chapters 1 to 5)
Readers need to spend a lot of time reading and understanding this section because it is essential knowledge that helps readers develop and improve their writing skills. Readers can read and re-read until they really understand and then move on to the next sections.
In the rest
Readers should focus on Score 01 (Short Introduction) at the beginning of each chapter because this is the part that will help readers understand the overview of the chapter as well as basic information and knowledge about a type of topic in IELTS Writing along with Those are the author’s tips and advice for readers.
After mastering an overview of a topic type, the reader needs to:
- Read the sample title and see the topic analysis
- See sample responses and analysis
- At this step, the reader needs to see the low-scoring answer and analyse why the essay was scored low. The reader then looks through the high-scoring response, and continues to the breakdown of why the essay was scored high.
- After seeing the analysis, readers need to draw their own experiences, take note of the author’s advice to avoid low scores, and improve writing skills to get high scores.
- Take note of the grammar and vocabulary presented
- After understanding the theory, grammar, vocabulary, points to avoid and points to do in a chapter, the reader needs to practice with a similar new topic given at the end of the chapter.
- After doing, the reader needs to compare the article he just wrote with the sample article, through which the reader can draw an experience for himself.
- Readers need to carefully read the author’s analysis and advice in each chapter, along with the perseverance to review every day to improve their level.
Download Smart IELTS Writing Free
Please visit the link below to download the Smart IELTS Writing book and start practising immediately! It can be seen that despite some limitations, Smart IELTS Writing is still a valuable and exciting book. Readers need to work hard to read books, and practice every day to improve their writing skills in IELTS Writing.