You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The plans below show a public park when it first opened in 1920 and the same park today. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
You should write at least 150 words.
Sample Answer 1
The maps outline the changes that took place in a public park called Grange Park from 1920 to today. Overall, the park was changed and renovated to offer people more possibilities than they used to have decades ago such as a cafe, theatre, playground and parking.
In details, the park was opened in 1920 and entertainment facilities including a larger stage and various areas for recreation have since been added to it. There was also notable relocation in terms of seats and the only areas that remained unchanged were the entrances and one minor garden. Besides, the fountain has been removed in favour of a rose garden with full seating arrangements around it. To the left of the new garden, the previous stage for musicians has been turned into a much larger amphitheatre facing the opposite direction that will allow for concerts in the park. This change has necessitated the removal of both seatings on the far left side as well as the rose garden in the bottom left corner of the map.
Moreover, the pond for water plants was removed from the right -top part of the garden and a children’s play area was introduced in the right-top of the park, and near this area, a cafe was built. Instead of the pond, a water feature has been built occupying the bottom right corner. Interestingly, the number of rose gardens was reduced to two. Besides, an underground car park was built in the lower right corner of the park.
Sample Answer 2
The maps illustrate the overall development of Grange park in Arnold avenue staged in two different periods – the first one depicts the park during its inauguration in 1920, and the latter portrays its present-day layout.
Generally speaking, the overall layout of the park has been changed drastically except for the main entrances at Arnold avenue and Eldon Street.
The park first opened in 1920, and it went through drastic developments since then. To begin with, the key feature of the park- the central fountain, has been demolished. The rose garden was earlier scattered around the periphery of the park along with the seating arrangements, but now it has been remobilised to the centre of the park. Meanwhile, the stage for the musicians has been further converted to an “Amphitheatre” for concerts to accommodate a larger crowd. However, the rose garden on the northwest has been retained.
Besides, the glasshouse on the southeast side has been redesigned with a water feature and an underground entrance to the car park for visitors. The addition of amenities such as the cafe on the northeast side adjacent to Arnold avenue was also done. Finally, the pond of water plants was redesigned to accommodate a children’s play area.