For the majority of learners in Vietnam, Speaking is a challenging skill. In the Speaking test, candidates must combine multiple skills: listening to understand the question, generating ideas and reacting immediately. This is not a specific requirement and requires a long process of practice and a scientific method to promote faster progress. Understanding this, 9IELTS would like to introduce to readers the title: Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking.
Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking is the second book of the Practical IELTS Strategies series.
As the name suggests, this book provides practical strategies for handling IELTS Speaking test questions. The book is a collection of exercises related to aspects of Speaking, including grammar, vocabulary, and questions on familiar topics in the IELTS exam.
Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking Review
Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking is divided into 3 main parts:
- The first part introduces an overview of the structure and content of the IELTS Speaking test (About the IELTS Speaking Test). The scoring criteria and scale of the IELTS Speaking test (The IELTS Band Descriptors) are also introduced and explained in detail.
- The second part is the focus section, covering general notes for the IELTS Speaking test and providing general and specific answer strategies for each Speaking section. In addition, the book also offers exercises to help learners receive and better visualize the tips for answering questions.
- In the last section, the author gives a general conclusion, summarizes the methods and strategies with the IELTS Speaking test, and then provides answers to the exercises in the above section.
Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking presents content entirely in English and is quite “text-dense”. This can make many learners feel “suffocated” by the amount of knowledge that books provide. Therefore, the book is not suitable for beginners, or reading ability – vocabulary is still poor.
In addition, the book will be more effective for learners with a good IELTS Speaking test background and aiming for band scores above 6.0 in the actual exam. The book will foster learners’ ability to expand/develop their answers, make good use of knowledge of advanced vocabulary – grammar, and handle situations well – common problems in the real exam.
Pros & Cons
Before entering the main content of presenting tips for successful speaking, the author designed a short quiz for learners to check their understanding of IELTS Speaking, the type of test, and the number of questions. , average time, etc. The questions are then discussed extremely carefully and objectively, helping learners have both an overview and a detailed overview of the IELTS Speaking test before entering the practice process.
Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking provides specific tips for each section of the Speaking test with illustrated examples and accompanying practice exercises, making these strategies easier to understand and more applicable. The design of activities right after each tip is a bright spot, because it helps learners quickly remember the lesson and apply it fluently through practice time.
However, Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking is a book that provides supplementary skills and specialized practice for the IELTS Speaking test. Although many sample answers are attached, they are presented only in text without an accompanying audio file.
This is a huge omission in this IELTS Speaking preparation material, because a Speaking test is not only assessed through vocabulary, grammar and ideas, but also through pronunciation, accent and form of expression examiner. The absence of an audio file will hinder IELTS test takers from self-assessing their speaking through the criteria of Pronunciation and Fluency (pronunciation and fluency).
Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking Study Guide
For those of you who are self-studying, 9IELTS would like to suggest some notes when using the book as follows:
- To evaluate the effectiveness of the tips in Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking for each part of the Speaking test, before you learn the suggested test strategy, you can choose a practice question in the book and then try it and record your speech.
- Next, carefully read the strategies presented in the book, practice accordingly, and then apply them back to the original Speaking lesson.
- Do the recording again and self-assess if anything has improved. If unsure of your assessment, you should send the recording to more experienced people and consult with them.
One of the problems learners face when facing a Speaking test is a lack of vocabulary, grammatical structure, and lack of ideas or ideas that “flow” but “don’t know how to say it.” To solve the above problems, you can refer to the application of the LinearThinking method in Speaking developed by 9IELTS’s academic team. This method effectively solves the significant obstacles of those who are at a low level, and with learners who have reached a certain level of Speaking, or even at a high level.
Download Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking Free
Please visit the links below to download Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking book and give yourself some good question-answering tips right away! Hopefully, the above information about the book Practical IELTS Strategies – IELTS Speaking will help you use the book effectively and have more orientation in practising Speaking skills.
Leave a Reply