Besides Cambridge University Press, Barron is one of the major US publishers that own many IELTS preparation books. When it comes to Barron, the first book that comes to mind must be Barron’s IELTS. This is a book series that many experts highly appreciate, and so let’s explore a book in this series with 9IELTS. It’s Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips.
Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips is written by master Lin Lougheed and was first published in 2013 through Barron Publishing.
Regarding Barron Publishing, in the 1930s, Mr. Manuel H. Barron opened a bookstore in Brooklyn, New York. When neighbors asked him about books that could help their children study for the New York State Administration’s exams, he realized that his bookstore didn’t have any what is available for this. So he created his own study guides.
80 years later, Barron has helped millions of people prepare for the next step in their careers.
Back to the book Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips, true to its name, the book provides you with great strategies and tips to help you do more effectively in the IELTS exam. The book will be suitable for those who already have a basic English background.
Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips Review
Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips offers a system like this:
Overview of the IELTS exam and each test section, helping you understand the test format, points to note:
- Introduce general strategies for each skill of Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing.
- Basic tips to pass each test, clear questions, how to do the test effectively.
- Example to apply.
- The accompanying exercises help you practice on your own to help increase your band score.
Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips is an IELTS review material suitable for those who are just starting to learn IELTS, or those who still have a lot of concerns about how to handle different types of tests effectively and save time, and want to achieve this goal. band score 6.0 or higher.
Because the book is mainly a collection of test-taking tips and strategies with accompanying examples, this will be an IELTS preparation material that will be suitable for those of you from band 4.0 and above – those who already have the skills. certain or certain knowledge of the IELTS test.
Pros & Cons
This is one of the few books that provides detailed practice and exercises for each of the common IELTS test types, and brings together all the skills in one book.
The book is especially suitable for self-study students because the test tips are presented in a concise and easy to understand manner, and the exercises are carefully selected and arranged from difficult to easy. As a result, learners can easily approach each step of the test, without being overloaded or under pressure when they have to cram too much knowledge in a short time.
Because it is written in 100% English, the book also requires the reader to have a certain amount of English background knowledge.
The book focuses mainly on helping learners pay attention to common problems when doing tests and how to solve them, so some content has not been clarified and concretized. For example, the question types in Task 1 and Task 2 of the test are not clearly listed, and the method of handling each type of test has not been presented. This can be difficult for newcomers to IELTS.
Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips Study Guide
When self-studying with Barron’s Essential Words for the IELTS book, you can completely study the types of articles in a pre-designed sequence:
- For Listening and Reading skills, first you need to distinguish the common types of tests, which types are common in which parts of the test. Then practice following the exercises suggested in the book and practice the strategies learned from the book. Because the book only provides a number of simplified exercises, after knowing how to do the exercises for each question type of the Listening or Reading test, you should refer to other sources of exercises that are closer to the real test such as the set of exercises. Cambridge IELTS Practice Tests for extra practice.
Note, especially with Listening skill, you should practice a Section continuously, take note of the test results and closely monitor the progress until you are satisfied with the results achieved, then move on to the next Section.
- For Writing skills, the book only provides exercises to help you recognize common mistakes or be more oriented when writing, but not specific instructions on how to do the test for each type of article. As such, you need to have a good understanding of the types of articles and how to write them before reading more of this book. In addition, when practicing writing a complete article, you can use the “checklist” suggested in the book to make sure your writing does not have too many mistakes or not good.
- Finally, with the Speaking skill, practice sequentially each part of the test based on the exercises in the book, because the difficulty of each part will increase gradually. Because the book does not provide enough common topics in the test, you should also refer to some specialized books for Speaking skills to get more sources of reference questions for regular practice.
Download Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips Free
Please visit the link below to download the Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips book and start practising immediately! Download Barron’s IELTS Strategies and Tips, and you can not only practice well but also have great experiences in the process of IELTS test preparation, thereby removing obsession and stress during the actual exam.